Downtown Portland, Sixth and Morrison 1912
Capt. John Kern's House
This street scene of downtown Portland is a shot of Sixth Street, looking north from the intersection of Morrison Street. The three tallest building shown are still standing. The small building in the lower left is the current location of the Meier and Frank / Macy building. The overhead sign is the back view of the "Orpheum" theater sign.
Occupying the entire city block of 16th, 17th, Davis and Everett in Northwest Portland, the Knapp House was built in 1884. It was torn down to make way for a parking lot but started a preservation movement in Portland.
Built in 1892 by William Mason, mayor of Portland. It was located on Irving between NW 20th and 21st Ave. It was later occupied by the Russell Caswell family. The house was destroyed Type your paragraph here.
Capt. John Brown's House
Capt. John Kern house was built in 1892. It was located on Powell Blvd between SE 29th and SE 30th Ave. on what was known as Powell Hill. After sitting empty, the house was torn down in 1949 to accommodate the widening and leveling of Powell removing the “hill”.
Situated at the east end of the Ross Island Bridge, the Poulsen House was one of two twin houses. The twin, the Inman House was situated on the north side of Powell Ave. Though identical, the Inman House, destroyed in 1959, faced east, while the Poulsen House, still standing, faces west.
Built in 1890, the Capt. Brown House was located at 2035 NW Everett. After the family vacated, it sat empty of years. In 1970, the house was moved onto the northeast corner Couch Park to in efforts to save it from demolition. Money ran out and the house was razed 3 years later in 1973.